Tuesday, May 12, 2009

DISAPPOINTED

Wholly cow am I cranky today!

I don't even have a good reason to feel that way. Everything's bothering me.

T.V. sucks more than usual. Aside from too many commercials (which doesn't make sense when you're paying for bad t.v.), my favorite channels aren't able to hold my attention. Discovery, Turner Classics, Indie Film Channel and the History Channel aren't keeping me entertained. I'm lucky if I get one hour of t.v. a night so I'd like it to be good. This sucks.

I've resorted to watching movies on DVD. My sister bought me some for my birthday and I also bought myself a DVD. These four movies lasted me about a week (I usually see about a half a movie a night then it's time for bed). Now that I've finished those, I have to find something else.

Here's what sucks about television. I really don't care to watch anything mind-numbing. I'm tired of being treated like a dumb child and I'm tired of being talked to like a dumb child. Everything's over-done, overly-dramatic, fake and for God sakes is it possible to have characters that aren't shallow and self-absorbed? Can we quit making the men out to be idiots and quit making women obsessed about clothing and whoring around?

AND STOP DRESSING THE KIDS LIKE HOOKERS!!! Holy Hell! I can't believe the lack of clothing the pre-teens on t.v. are wearing (or not wearing - whatever!). I'm not that old and I'm not a prude but seriously, put some clothes on the kids!

So I guess this is what drives the market...disappointing, very disappointing. Obviously this is what people want...melodrama and sex. No real conversations, no real effort to engage with people. No desire to think and feel something. No desire to read or watch something that leaves you thinking about it for days after you've finished reading/watching it.

I'm not bothered by comedies but let's face it, those have been dumbed down as well.

I'm very disappointed.

Just as our government is a perfect example of our country as a whole (no matter how much people complain about it, it's a prime sample of the people of a large portion of our country), television is reflecting the same. Don't get me wrong, I still love my country and think it's the most awesomest place to live. I've lived overseas and you can't beat the USA, but I'm having a hard time with the direction we're going.

I'm so very glad I opted out of having kids because I'd have a real hard time raising them with the way things are right now.

I'll try and keep hopeful that things will change and we'll become a little wiser but I highly doubt this is possible.

As Cy Curnin from the Fixx sings (from Reach the Beach - the song "Outside"):

Tongue-tied, no words can match this point of view
Chastise, I don't belong as no-one owns


Thank you Mr. Curnin for your succinct wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment